April 2, 2009

Hair In The City

Getting your hair done in Chicago....What a joke. Those of you who live here know that you walk into most salons, and walk out with a $200+ tab for hair that isn't all that fabulous. Searching for a great salon and a fabulous stylist in this city is like searching for a guy under 30 year here who isn't drunk 5 days a week and wants to settle down....Good luck! I spent 4 years looking for "the one".... (If you just want to know who "The One" is without the drama, skip to the end of this lengthy blog, click on the link and make an appointment...If you want to know how I found it, read on).

The number of salons I have been to in my 4 years in Chicago exceeds the number of guys I dated before I found Mark (keeping in mind that I hated dating and keeping these roots blonde is like a full time job). I bounced around a few trendy downtown salons, before finding my first "long" term relationship with a Wrigleyville salon. It was small, cute and friendly, the same person cut, colored and dried my hair. I didn't feel like I was in Manhattan and I was good with that. They had some dogs...they even offered you beer with your service! How Wrigleyville and cute! I didn't LOVE my hair, but it was good enough and I was comfortable and content. My stylist was also from Michigan, we swapped tattoo stories, I even bought her a Christmas gift. I went there for a good to 2 years UNTIL I found out their dirty little secret from an ex client....They were CHARGING me for the beer! They added it on to my tab of services, with me none the wiser! How could they?! I felt cheated....It was time to move on...I didn't need a salon who needed to give their clients a buzz to love their hair.

I then went back to an "ex", which we all know never works. It was comfortable...It was a stylist that I had formerly seen, but in the past we had conflicting schedules so it hadn't worked. Maybe it would work out this time....My hair did look better, she really is great! However, I practically had to get a second job to pay for my hair...insanely high for a Northside salon. I didn't know what to do, so I stayed, avoiding the inevitable break up, convinced you had a to pay a hefty price for trendy tresses in the Chi.

And then I found "the one". Ironically, it was when I wasn't even looking for a salon (isn't that how it always happens?). I was sick of the corporate world (a nightmare which I shall blog about at a later date) and I was looking for a new job. I applied for an opening at Exsalonce, a small Roscoe Village salon and spa, and was hired. I had full intentions of staying loyal to my former stylist...until they told me about the generous employee discount! I had to at least give it a try.... From that moment, I'm telling you, my hair has never looked better. In the past I have told stylists to make my hair "big" and it's just never big enough...I left looking like I was from Dallas (not to say this is standard, for those of you who aren't into that look) and I was in love. They listened to me! There were actually stylists who know how to follow direction and don't charge your life savings for it! They have an incredible ability to see a persons style and style their hair accordingly! People of all ages, men and women, leave looking amazing! Don't even get me started on the extensions....

They are totally reasonably priced ($45-$50 for a cut, $85+ for hi-lights, $65 for single process), quick and efficient and the stylists do a FANTASTIC JOB. They give discounts for referrals, run generous promotions and treat their clients as they should be!

I will never go to another Chicago salon. Don't waste 4 years trying to find "The One" like I did.

It's not just me...Read the reviews on Yelp
http://www.yelp.com/biz/exsalonce-salon-and-day-spa-chicago?rpp=40&sort_by=date_desc

http://www.exsaloncechicago.com/

3 comments:

  1. This is absolutely FABULOUS! My Blonde Hair buddy you are well on your way to super entertaining blog! LOVE IT. -Ziya

    ReplyDelete