April 9, 2009

Vampires, Werewolves and Teenagers...Oh My!

"My name is Lauren, and I'm addicted to Twilight." For those of you who have read it, you know what I'm talkin 'bout. For those of you who haven't and are rolling your eyes, give me a minute. I got my hands on the first magical pages of the book last Christmas, when I had a nice little break for work and some time to relax. I wouldn't call myself an avid reader (shocking I know). I like to read, but hadn't read anything aside from US Weekly since I got halfway through Devil In The White City and decided there was too much history and not enough serial killing. This seemed like an easy read and it was on sale at Target. What wasn't to like?

At first it was somewhat of a secret read (by somewhat I mean totally), kept to the confines of my of my own home. Too embarassed to admit that I was reading tales of vampires and teenage love affairs, I kept my book safely tucked away in my purse on the El and other public venues. What was next? Would I be watching High School Musical and listening to Miley Cyrus? It sure felt like a slippery slope, and keeping this new obsession to myself was surely the way to go.

That is until one day I got to work and realized I wasn't the only one. One morning I heard fragments of conversations drifting over my cubicle wall including such words as "Vampire" and "Edward". Was I imaginging this? Could it be my totally normal and cool co-workers had read the books as well? My suspicions were confirmed as I walked into the lunchroom, and there sat one of my co-workers, Twilight in hand, unable to put it down. While I was only on book 1, some of them were on the 3rd in the series! Conversations about the books swirled around the office and suddenly not having read Twilight made you in the minority. I was in Twilight heaven.

I am now on the third book, and I even shelled out for hard cover because it is not available in paperback yet. If you haven't read it, try it. It will get you out of the day to day grind, and bring you back to high school days in a good way...But in this case the new girl, who isn't homecomming queen, gets the hot, mysterious guy. Not so much my high school experience. (If it was your high school experience, screw you :-) ).

Trust me on this one....You can literally get it for $4.96 used on Amazon, cheaper than a Big Mac Meal at McDonalds and it won't make you fat.

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Saga-Book-1/dp/0316015849/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239328790&sr=8-2

No comments:

Post a Comment